Dual Diode Bridge Compressor
Two channels of iconic diode bridge compression, thoughtfully improved and refined for modern tracking, mixing, and mastering.
Originally developed for the dynamics circuit of the acclaimed Shelford Channel, the 5254 Dual Diode Bridge Compressor captures the soul of Rupert Neve’s original 2254 compressor while providing modern updates including advanced timing control, significantly lower noise, fully stepped controls throughout, and internal parallel processing capabilities.
What is diode bridge compression?
Where the VCA compressor found in the Master Buss Processor provides unmatched clarity, the weighty, harmonically rich tonality of diode bridge compression can be essential in pushing key sources like vocals, electric guitars, bass and drums to the forefront of a mix.
By understanding the limitations of vintage units like the legendary 2254, painstaking effort was taken to reproduce the unique tone of these classics while improving the noise floor & accuracy, expanding inflexible time constants, adding full wave sidechain detection for improved dynamic response, and widening the range of threshold and ratio controls.
Delivering the powerful sound of these iconic designs with enhanced flexibility for the modern age, the 5254 Dual Diode Bridge Compressor is a dynamic tool equipped to make a bold statement on virtually any mix or track.
- Classic Diode Bridge Tone
- Capture the punchy, larger-than-life tone used on countless hit records for the last 50 years.
- Advanced Timing Controls
- Custom-shape your compression envelope with the unified timing control, which enables a much wider range of responses than vintage units or clones.
- Custom Transformers and Class-A Line Amplifiers
- Vintage warmth meets the improved headroom and precision of Rupert Neve’s updated transformer-coupled line stages.
- 31-Position Detented Controls
- Accurately recall and match your settings with precision and speed.
- Built-In Parallel Compression
- Internal blend control enables you to subtly dial in more dramatic compression settings for color as desired.
- Full-Wave Sidechain Detection
- Enhanced from the vintage units’ half-wave design, the updated sidechain detector provides substantially more accuracy.
- Stereo Linking
- Run your compressors in either dual mono or stereo configurations.
- Internal Universal Power Supply
- EIC connection for world-wide AC power from 90-240V embedded in the 1U rack-mountable chassis.
- XLR LINE INPUT TO XLR LINE OUTPUT
- Compressor Bypassed.
- zSource = 40 Ohm Balanced
- INPUT IMPEDANCE
- 10K Ohm
- OUTPUT IMPEDANCE
- 40 Ohm
- MAXIMUM INPUT LEVEL
- +4 dBu Selected: +26.7 dBu typical
- MAXIMUM OUTPUT LEVEL
- +26.7 dBu typical
- 10 Hz - 120 kHz: -104 dBu typical
- FREQUENCY REPONSE
- 10 Hz to 120 kHz: +/- 0.25 dB typical
- From 22 Hz - 22kHz BW.
- @ 1 kHz @ Maximum Level: 0.0008% typical
- COMPRESSOR NOISE
- From 22 Hz - 22kHz BW.
- zSource = 40 Ohms Balanced
- @ 0 dB Make-up gain: -84.5 dBu typical
- @ +20 dB Make-up gain: -64.5 dBu typical
- COMPRESSOR TIMING
- TIMING measurements represent the full range achievable between 1.5:1 and 8:1 ratio and FAST mode.
- Attack 250μS - 2mS // Release 100mS - 200mS typical
- MF (MEDIUM FAST)
- Attack 1mS - 5mS // Release 100mS - 200mS typical
- MED (MEDIUM)
- Attack 3mS - 18mS // Release 350mS - 700mS typical
- MS (MEDIUM SLOW)
- Attack 5mS - 40mS // Release 600mS - 1S typical
- Attack 10mS - 80 mS // Release 800mS - 1.5S typical
- Attack 5mS - 40mS // Release T1 400-900mS, T2 1-2S typical
- PRODUCT DIMENSIONS
- 19” (48.3 cm) x 9” (22.9 cm) x 1.65” (4.2 cm)
- SHIPPING DIMENSIONS
- 24” (61 cm) x 13” (33 cm) x 4” (10.2 cm)
- SHIPPING WEIGHT
- 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)