V24 TUBE STEREO CONDENSER
Vanguard Audio Labs is proud to introduce the V24 Tube Stereo Condenser microphone!
A culmination of our combined knowledge and experience, Vanguard Audio Labs is proud to present the V24 Stereo Tube Condenser Microphone – designed to be the crème de la crème of stereo microphones. This unique microphone is designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional tool in the vein of highly-sought-after vintage stereo condensers of yesteryear.
The V24 features a pair of matched coincident BeesNeez CK12 Capsules and 9 polar patterns per capsule, you can utilize X/Y, Mid-Side, Blumlein, and other less conventional stereo microphone techniques in a single microphone.
With our acclaimed detented heavy-duty rotation mechanism, premium cryogenically-treated tube circuitry, Neutrik® interconnects, US-made audiophile-grade resistors, twin Cinemag® transformers, and a VLSM shockmount, the V24 is the first and last stereo microphone you’ll ever need to reach for.
Hand-made in small batches in the USA, this is the definitive modern tube stereo microphone.
We did not set out to make a “clone”, “homage”, or “tribute” to one of the most hallowed stereo microphones of all time. Rather, we used the basic circuit topology and improved upon it in as many ways as we could. This includes:
A modernized power supply with extra filtering stages and integrated polar pattern switching
Vastly reducing the crosstalk between the two circuits that was inherent to the original design, leading to superior stereo imaging
Improved noise filtering along the capsule and power paths
Extended low frequency response with a better transformer design and component value changes
Modernized components, including US-made audiophile-grade low-noise resistors, high-end capacitors, dual Cinemag® transformers, sealed microphone switches, and deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of the majority of the componentry
Switchable low-pass filtering per channel – for “12”- or “251”-style high end.
And of course, our tried-and-tested “tank turret” V44S capsule-rotating metalwork that is the most durable rotating stereo microphone design conceived, using punched stainless steel and ball bearings for stage-worthy recallable settings
The V24 is designed and built in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. The V44S chassis platform is modified, stripped, polished, re-engraved, and finished. The PSU chassis is bent locally. We are assembling every unit by hand – every last solder joint and screw. We perform 100% quality control – every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests in Southern California before being hand-packed.
Every component of the V24 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-specced. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Each microphone component is built from stainless steel. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by our FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
Every great microphone starts with a great capsule. After much consideration, we chose a matched set of BeesNeez CK12 capsules for the V24. These Australian-made beauties are manufactured using modern automated CNC machining and Ben is extremely knowledgeable of the original CK12s. One of the most complex (and revered) capsule designs ever conceived, the CK12 is the beating heart of some of the most hallowed vintage microphones.
These capsules are set within our “tour-proof” V44S platform, with open-weave headbaskets for low internal reflections and a natural sound. The top headbasket rotates up to 120 degrees, with detents every 15 degrees for repeatability of settings.
The dual Cinemag® transformers emulate the properties of the famed “T14” transformer found in vintage Austrian microphones, but use a larger core to obtain better low end response along with higher-quality alloys and precision windings.
For the V24, we spared no expense finding premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world. We cryogenically treat the majority of components, including a hand-selected 6072A tubes. We chose to use US-made, low-noise, precision-spec, audiophile-grade resistors.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined stainless steel body is polished to a #4 grained finish. Your V24’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
We designed the V24 with the character of the definitive vintage stereo microphone in mind, while also utilizing modern technology & design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals.
Both historically-accurate CK12 capsules are independently switchable via the power supply between 9 different patterns, allowing X/Y, Mid-Side, and Blumlein stereo mic’ing within one microphone, as well as less conventional stereo techniques.
On the rear of the microphone are two switches. The original Austrian microphone was neither a pair of “12s” nor a pair of “251”s, but was an amalgamation of the two. It utilized the “251 rolloff”, a capacitor which gives the famous Telefunken model its signature top end. We made this capacitor switchable per capsule, allowing for a “12” or “251” style response for each channel.
One of the biggest frustrations we’ve heard from users of stereo microphones is the flaws of current and past headbasket rotation assemblies. Too often, the current designs are fragile and prone to noisy operation, breakage, and signal loss. We designed a heavy-duty, punched-steel rotation mechanism which detents every 15 degrees for reliable, durable operation.
The power supply was designed from the ground up to provide clean, consistent power with no drift. The power supply output gives the engineer an additional phase-reversed top capsule output, which is perfect for less-than-ideal recording conditions such as concert taping. This allows mid-side recording with no additional mixer patching.
Design & Performance
- "12" vs "251" mode - each capsule has a switch for the famous "251" high-end rolloff to emulate those hallowed microphones' respective top end response!
- 9 independently switchable polar patterns - XY, Mid-Side, Blumlein, or any number of creative stereo options
- "Tank Turret" Top Capsule - Our "tour-proof" rotation mechanism allows for up to 120º of rotation with 15º detents
- 120º rotatable top capsule with 15º detents - our "tour-proof" V44S technology, the best rotation mechanism to ever grace a stereo microphone
- 3-output PSU for easy Mid-Side processing - a phase-reversed top capsule output allows for seamless mid-side processing with 3 cables
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and “open-air” voicing
Capsule & Electronics
- Twin matched BeesNeez CK12 historically-accurate capsules handmade in Australia
- 9 independently selectable polar patterns per capsule at the power supply
- Twin Cinemag® T14 transformers
- Hand-selected cryo-treated 6072A tube
- Transformer-balanced tube circuitry using audiophile-grade parts, sourced from USA, Germany, Japan, France, and more
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of the majority of components
- Ultra-low-noise design using PRP® audiophile-grade precision resistors
- FIRST 10 UNITS ONLY - sealed NKK switches, cryo-treated 10-pin cables, cryo-treated Neutrik connectors, and more.
- Heavy-duty SUS304 Stainless Steel construction, with locally machined components
- Robust punched-steel capsule rotation mechanism
- Laser-engraved microphone and PSU markings
- 5-Year Warranty
- #4 grained hand-polished Stainless Steel finish
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Neutrik® interconnects throughout
- Made in USA & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule: BeesNeez CK12
- Electronics Type: Vacuum Tube, Transformer-Balanced output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: appx. 126dB @ 0.5% THD
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: ≤13dBA (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: ≥81dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Sensitivity: -41dB @ 1kHz (9mV/Pa)
- Output Connector: Neutrik® Male XLR 10-pin, gold-plated
- Finish: hand-polished #4 grained finish
- Weight (microphone): TBA
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Weight (in case): TBA
- Dimensions (microphone): 10.63″ long, 2.05″ max diameter / 270mm long, 52mm max diameter
- Dimensions (case): TBA
- Voltage Requirement: PS-24 power supply can operate between 110V-240V, selectable at rear